Saturday, January 26, 2013

the best gift

David, my husband, has been helping me a lot lately with new house projects... I love staying busy, making things, and spending time with D so my bucket is pretty full. Last Saturday he gave me the best gift -- 3 hours of his time to do anything ... without complaining! This may sound like a lame gift to some, but it was perfect for me!

You see, I can't sit still. I have tried, but it drives me crazy. David enjoys his Saturdays and his days off and like anyone else can use those days for rest, but me -- I have to be doing something! Even when I am watching a movie I have to be doing a craft, grading papers, or making lists of some sort. I am nonstop, so D giving me 3 hours of his time on his day off was a perfect gift!

I had to think really hard about what I wanted to spend those three hours on, but i finally decided to make a craft that we had been talking about for a while. A shape of Oklahoma - our state - out of pallets!

We found a good picture of the state of Oklahoma, figured out the size that we wanted it to be on our wall, found the ratio to make it mostly accurate , and began measuring and cutting the wood. This project took about 2 hours from start to finish and the final product looks better than we thought... I'll let you decide what you think about it.


  

The finished size is 4ftx17in. We thought about sanding and staining the wood, but decided to leave the original raw look. I love it. Our next pallet creation will either be the shape of Africa... or a head board. I still have an hour of D's time left :) 

Shaped states and countries are now for sale on my etsy page.

No comments:

Post a Comment